Monday 22 June 2015

Knight Owl's Review of Jurassic World; Smart People Doing Stupid Things



Well, I expected nothing, and that's what I got.

Like every child of the 90's should, I love Jurassic Park. I think that I can objectively say that it's one of the best films ever made, certainly one of Spielberg's greatest works, and it changed the way movies were made and seen. The combined use of practical and computer generated effects hold up to this day, which is remarkable considering CGI was still in it's infancy. Yes, Jurassic Park is a great and important film to myself and pop culture as a whole. But it's also 23 years old, so it must be time for a sequel!

I knew how I was going to feel about this right after I saw the trailer, and I wasn't optimistic. There are few film franchises old enough to drink that can effectively be reintroduced into today's audience. An example of such a success would be Mad Max: Fury Road, which was a damn near perfect film for what it was. Jurassic World is...not that. I understand the desire to cash in on aging films by repackaging them as fresh ideas, especially considering when we ask for original genre films we get Jupiter Ascending, but the fact that many efforts to do so fall flat saddens and confuses me. But for whatever reason, the magic that these original films once had cannot be conjured up again a couple decades down the road, and Jurassic World is another card carrying example of that.

Now that I've sufficiently buried the lede and given up my general feelings towards the film at the same time, let's actually talk about the damn thing. We jump to a time in a world where Jurassic Park was a thing, and the park actually becomes a success despite multiple instances where horrible death and mayhem proved this to be a bad idea. In and of itself, a huge problem solely based on the lack of common sense possessed by what appear to be even remotely intelligent people. At some point between the events of Jurassic Park III (shudders) and Jurassic World, a group of smart, resourceful and obviously wealthy people got together and decided to throw a fuck ton of those resources and wealth at a project that has claimed literally dozens of lives. And you can't tell me that no one died horribly while this new theme park was being constructed, but that's not important.

So we have this new park, and it's a hit. But as the market is wont to do when your attraction is hundreds of miles from literally anywhere, the popularity fades. The solution, as concocted by said smart, rich people, is to INVENT A NEW SUPER DINOSAUR. In this, I find two glaring problems. The first is that Jurassic World is, for all intents and purposes, a zoo full of creatures that this one place in the entire world has rights and access to, because they have been extinct for however many millions of years. That's pretty bad ass for a zoo. I don't know if you've been to a major zoo lately, but they're still pretty popular. There's no way that the money and time you'd need to dedicate to creating a brand new species of life could be justified by bring up the average number of visitors per day.

"Sure looks dead to me." - An idiot.

The second problem is mostly a reiteration of an earlier point that any progress made on this island up to this point has been bought with the blood of many, many people, and that was just from plain jane Raptors and Tyrannosaurs. They didn't have the benefit of being genetically altered or created from scratch. My point is that we obviously have a hard enough time dealing with the bastards that we've known about for 20+ years without adding a new challenger appearing at our own behest. But I guess this all falls under the genre trope of “smart people make bad decisions” leading to the plot of a movie. It's been done before, it'll happen again, and that's fine. Just, the fact that it happened once in this context 20 years ago, on this same island, AND THEY KEEP MAKING THE SAME MISTAKES. Somewhere, Jeff Goldblum is awkwardly laughing at these asshats. 


 
It doesn't help that 99% of the characters in the film do not inspire a whole lot of sympathy or respect. Many of the characters exhibit the stupidity I remarked upon above throughout the events of the film, making it hard for me to not root for Rex and co. But there's a silver lining to every lackluster film out there, and it's clear who that was here: God Damn Star Lord. If the only thing that comes of this film is the further rise in stock for Chris Pratt, then I'm willing to shut the hell up and see it again. If you enjoyed his performance in Guardians of the Galaxy (be real, who didn't?), then by all means go see this. He basically transfers the same attitudes and inflections over to Jurassic World as local badass who trains Raptors for what I can tell is literally no reason. He is the funny, brave, handsome prince who is also somehow the voice of reason that no one listens to. He's, like, an ensemble cast all by himself and it's amazing. It's just sad that he absolutely has to be, because everyone else sucks and is stupid. Truth.

So I've said a lot of not nice things about this movie, but for what is clearly an attempt to cash in on nostalgia and the 3D gimmick, there are far worse out there. Jurassic World is a shameless high-intensity popcorn flick designed for a generation that can't possibly appreciate the original because they weren't alive. And normally I can look past the flaws in films like this objectively because I understand who these films are designed for. It's how I got through the new Ninja Turtles movie. If there's one unforgivable element that Jurassic World has for me, it's that last week I watched a film that is 23 years old with the premise upon which Jurassic World was based, and it looked SO MUCH BETTER. 23 years have seen a lot of advances in visual effects in film, many of which started with Jurassic Park, so there's no reason on this earth that Jurassic World should look so much worse than its predecessor. It's weird, but as you watch the Jurassic Park series of films (I don't recommend it), the visuals seem to get worse and worse. The practical effects that were used were few and far between, hardly making up for the heavy use of CGI that I've come to expect these days. Another mark for Fury Road over this.

Clearly, I'm in the minority in not gushing over this movie, as JW is destroying records left/right/centre. That's fine, it's not the first time the majority disagrees with me, but even objectively this film is not good enough to be making the money it's making. And because of this, we will surely see JW2 before long with T-Rexs dual-wielding shotguns or some shit. And I'll see that too, because 1) that sounds awesome, and 2) pure nostalgia. Nostalgia is a monster in pop culture right now. It's why nothing is original. There are less and less original films in the top 10 grossing films each year. Nintendo hasn't had to make an original game in years because they're on Mario Kart 17 or something. Sony just announced the re-release of Final Fantasy VII, a game nearly 20 years old in its own right, and it's breaking the god damn internet. I get it, things were better then and our generation is more and more able to make that which is old new again. Just make better movies with it is all I ask.

Or maybe I'll just shut the fuck up and watch some dinosaurs.

Knight Owl

No comments:

Post a Comment